Monday, May 3, 2010

Refused - The Shape Of Punk To Come



I believe I was in the 8th grade in middle school when this record came out in late 1998. At the time I was listening to a lot of Subhumans, Dead Kennedys, Amebix, and Crass, so getting this record was a far departure from what I was rocking out to at the time (when it came to political music, that is). They definitely have a Swedish hardcore sound going on, definitely, but they've got much more than that. Extremely talented musicians, for sure, which is one of the things that led to the breakup and constant lineup changes before this record came into fruition. This band definitely opened me up to a whole new style of political punk rock and political ideas, and in my opinion, is one of the most important albums of the late 90s (they broke up shortly after the record came out, on tour, in a basement show that the cops busted). There are rumored reunions, and a repress and remaster of this record in the works (3 discs, I believe). Members went on to form Swedish Anarcho-Syndicalist rock band The (International) Noise Conspiracy shortly after the breakup of Refused.

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment